College Church

RBA are busily documenting conservation works to the landmark Former College Church (VHR H0394) on Royal Parade, including repairs to the Oamaru limestone, brickwork, and render.

Repairs are planned for the church’s distinctive crown spire which has been in poor condition for some time. The stone has deteriorated and metal scaffolding is being used as a temporary support for the buttresses. In addition, the upper part of the crown was removed more than 20 years ago.

Spire College Church Conservation Repairs
Spire of the Former College Church, Parkville

The first minister, the Reverend Alexander Yule, chose to erect the spire based on that of the King’s College Chapel (1498-1509) at Aberdeen University in Scotland where Rev. Yule was a former student. It is the only known example of a crown tower in Victoria, and is possibly unique in Australia.

The College Church was opened in August 1898, built to a design by architect Robert A Lawson. Since 2008, the church building has been owned by the Melbourne Mar Thoma Church.

We are excited about documenting these conservation works to make sure the spire is in place for generations to come!

College Church Conservation Repairs
College Church, Parkville, in 1978 – prior to the partial dismantling of the crown spire.
(Source: J T Collins, State Library of Victoria, H98.250/1482)
DATE
21 May 2018
SHARE

Related Posts

12 September 2018

Relocation of the Former Methodist Church, Plenty

The modest former Methodist Church on Yan Yean Road, Plenty, was constructed of timber c1920s. The building is historically significant for its long association with…

21 May 2018

Repairs to Parkville Church

RBA are busily documenting conservation works to the landmark Former College Church (VHR H0394) on Royal Parade, including repairs to the Oamaru limestone, brickwork, and…

20 March 2018

Mortar Bees

An intriguing case of mortar bee attack is evident at the former Public Works Office, Bendigo. The building is now part of the Queen Elizabeth…

08 February 2018

Former West Bourke Club Hotel

In the course of carrying out a building condition assessment at the Celtic Club building on the corner of Queen and La Trobe streets, a small fragment of Melbourne’s past has been discovered.