Former Tarpaulin Shop Newport Railway workshops
The original Tarpaulin Shop was built by H Maxwell in 1887. The size and specialised design of the building demonstrates the importance of tarpaulin manufacture and repair to the Victorian rail system and was operative for more than 90 years.
The building was an integral part of the extensive Newport Railway Workshops, which was established to maintain the substantially increased number of railway locomotives and rolling stock needed as a result of the massive increase in the Victorian railways systems following the “Octopus Act” of 1884 which authorised 66 new railway lines.
In addition to undertaking forensic analysis of the condition of the heavily decayed building fabric, RBA have subsequently completed an adaptive re-use study so that the building and site can be re-purposed for a contemporary rail industry.
This process will see the essential conservation works deliver not just another redundant-to-purpose, barely maintained heritage asset, but a properly conserved and fully fit for purpose, economically sustainable heritage asset.
The modest former Methodist Church on Yan Yean Road, Plenty, was constructed of timber c1920s. The building is historically significant for its long association with…
RBA are busily documenting conservation works to the landmark Former College Church (VHR H0394) on Royal Parade, including repairs to the Oamaru limestone, brickwork, and…
An intriguing case of mortar bee attack is evident at the former Public Works Office, Bendigo, now part of the Queen Elizabeth Oval Cottage. Known…
In the course of carrying out a building condition assessment at the Celtic Club building on the corner of Queen and La Trobe streets, a small fragment of Melbourne’s past has been discovered.