Victoria Police Stables Complex
RBA were engaged to undertake a Conservation Management Plan for the Victoria Police Stables Complex in Southbank as a precursor to consideration of future options for the site.
The Victoria Police Stables Complex originally formed part of the St Kilda Road Police Depot established during the early 20th century as the headquarters for police training and mounted police operations in Victoria. The building, comprising stables, riding school and drill hall, was the first dedicated structure to be constructed at the new depot site in 1912-13. During WWI the building was used to accommodate vast wards as part of the No. 5 Australian General Hospital and during the international influenza outbreak. Victoria Police’s Mounted Branch occupied the stables and riding school sections until 2016, while the former police drill hall was converted to the Grant Street Theatre for the Victorian College of the Arts in 1975.
Subsequently, RBA worked alongside 6 Degrees Architects for the refurbishment of the Grant Street Theatre (the former drill hall). RBA prepared a Heritage Impact Statement to accompany the permit application and developed interpretive panels for display in the foyer.