RBA have been appointed to monitor the dismantling and conservation of the South African Soldiers’ Memorial on St Kilda Road, which is being temporarily removed to allow for the construction of the new underground Anzac Station (part of the Metro Tunnel Project).

Piece by piece, the memorial is slowly and carefully being dismantled, each separate component labelled and prepared for storage in custom made cases.

Whilst in storage, specialist conservators will carry out conservation works on the stone and bronze elements in preparation for the memorial’s future reinstatement within Albert Road Reserve.

The South African Soldiers’ Memorial was erected to commemorate the Australians who fell in the Boer War fought in South Africa between 1899 and 1902. The memorial rises over 21m and takes the form of a grey granite obelisk and pedestal, embellished with a bronze plaque, sword, and eucalyptus wreath, set on a raised square podium. It was designed by Melbourne based architects, Leighton Irwin and Roy Stevenson, and constructed between 1922 and 1924. Some thirty years later in 1952, four sandstone lions, designed and carved by sculptor Stanley Hammond, were finally added at each corner of the podium.

Interpretive panels, with content developed by RBA, are on display at the site providing historical and descriptive information to enhance an understanding of the memorial.

13 December 2017

Related Posts

21 June 2023

2023 AIA Victorian Architecture Awards

The 2023 Awards ceremony for the Victorian Australian Institute of Architects was held on Friday the 16th June.

Several representatives from RBA Architects and Conservation Consultants attended the event, where we were proud to receive an Award for Heritage Conservation for the Prahran Arcade Façade Conservation and a Commendation for Heritage – Conservation for the restoration of Doherty House in Tarneit.

Additionally, we were pleased to see Searle x Waldron receive an Award for Architecture for the Joyce Chapel Bridge and Wardle receive The William Wardell Award for Public Architecture for the Bendigo Law Courts – both projects that RBA have been involved in.

Learn more about the Prahran Arcade Facade Conservation here

Learn more about the Doherty House Restoration here

Doherty House, Tarneit (Image: Thurston Empson)

Bendigo Law Courts, Wardle (Image: Tim Griffith)

Prahran Arcade (Image: Thurston Empson)

Joyce Chapel Bridge, Searle x Waldron (Image: Peter Bennetts)


05 May 2023

RBA Projects Shortlisted for the 2023 AIA Victorian Architecture Awards.

At the recent AIA awards event, it was announced that two of RBA’s recent projects, the Prahran Arcade Façade Restoration and Doherty House, have been…

05 September 2022

Frozen in time, we’ve become blind to ways to build sustainability into our urban heritage

  The Walsh Bay Arts Precinct development won the Greenway Award for Heritage. MDRX/Wikimedia, CC BY-SA James Lesh, Deakin University It was hard to keep…

02 October 2020

Staff news: celebrating 20 years with Anthony Hemingway

This year marks two decades of distinguished service for an integral member of RBA: Senior Associate and Architectural Historian, Anthony Hemingway. Anthony started at RBA…