One hundred years ago, at a time when the automobile was about to replace the horse for police work, an extensive new stables facility, reputedly the best in the southern hemisphere, was constructed for the Victoria Police Mounted Branch. The Mounted Branch, which today consists of 21 horses looked after by 30 police officers, continues to operate from the building – the last vestige of occupation by Victoria Police of the former Police Depot site, now occupied by the Victorian College of the Arts.

The red brick V-shaped building with its distinctive octagonal entrance, on the corner of Dodds and Grant Streets Southbank, was designed to house up to 53 horses, and included a riding school and a drill hall. The drill hall section of the building was converted to the Grant Street Theatre in 1976 by the Victorian College of the Arts.

The building has a surprising history. The first occupants of the building were in fact people, not horses. During WWI, the Police Depot site was taken over by No. 5 Australian General Hospital and in July 1915 the stables building was converted into vast wards providing beds for almost 500 returned soldiers. Following the war, the building was again used to accommodate patients requiring treatment during the devastating worldwide Spanish Influenza outbreak that reached Melbourne late in 1918. Consequently, the Mounted Branch did not occupy their new building until 1920.

A notable feature of the building are the original steel-framed windows. They are amongst the earliest known usage of steel-framed windows in Victoria and have been used for this building on a large scale. They remain mostly intact across the building, though some have been removed, and various frame designs are featured.

RBA have been commissioned to produce a Conservation Management Plan for the Victoria Police Stables Complex which will clarify its heritage significance and provide conservation policies to guide the future management of this unique building.

image
Mounted Police, with the stables in the background, during the shipping strike of 1929. (Source: Victoria Police Historical Unit)
DATE
21 December 2012
SHARE

Related Posts

21 June 2023

2023 AIA Victorian Architecture Awards

The 2023 Awards ceremony for the Victorian Australian Institute of Architects was held on Friday the 16th June.

Several representatives from RBA Architects and Conservation Consultants attended the event, where we were proud to receive an Award for Heritage Conservation for the Prahran Arcade Façade Conservation and a Commendation for Heritage – Conservation for the restoration of Doherty House in Tarneit.

Additionally, we were pleased to see Searle x Waldron receive an Award for Architecture for the Joyce Chapel Bridge and Wardle receive The William Wardell Award for Public Architecture for the Bendigo Law Courts – both projects that RBA have been involved in.

Learn more about the Prahran Arcade Facade Conservation here

Learn more about the Doherty House Restoration here

Doherty House, Tarneit (Image: Thurston Empson)

Bendigo Law Courts, Wardle (Image: Tim Griffith)

Prahran Arcade (Image: Thurston Empson)

Joyce Chapel Bridge, Searle x Waldron (Image: Peter Bennetts)

 





05 May 2023

RBA Projects Shortlisted for the 2023 AIA Victorian Architecture Awards.

At the recent AIA awards event, it was announced that two of RBA’s recent projects, the Prahran Arcade Façade Restoration and Doherty House, have been…

05 September 2022

Frozen in time, we’ve become blind to ways to build sustainability into our urban heritage

  The Walsh Bay Arts Precinct development won the Greenway Award for Heritage. MDRX/Wikimedia, CC BY-SA James Lesh, Deakin University It was hard to keep…

02 October 2020

Staff news: celebrating 20 years with Anthony Hemingway

This year marks two decades of distinguished service for an integral member of RBA: Senior Associate and Architectural Historian, Anthony Hemingway. Anthony started at RBA…